Sketchup Screenshot

Sketchup Screenshot
Above image © De Santis-Philipson Architects. All other Images © Scott Miller 2010 unless stated otherwise

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Case Making, Laser Cutting, 2 steps forward one step back!


Case Making

The day started off well and I was able to get the top edges on the case ready and apply the Tensol joint by midday (above and below).


I was confident everything was fine and I was on shedual with the case construction so left the joints to cure until late afternoon. By around 3:30 I decided to check on the joints and found that that had cured sufficiently for me to apply 2 of the end joints to cure over night. Upon upturning the case I found that the inner dimension was 4mm shorter than it should be! I went over everything several times to work out how this could have happened and finally figured out I had only allowed for one of the sides material thickness in my calculations. This potentially had a major knock on effect, certainly on my time plan for the next week. I decided that I had cut and begun to use too much material to simply break it up for reuse and cut everything again. The 4mm will have to come off the base. Luckily I remembered that I had applied a 2mm styrene cladding around the base before applying the wooden sils for the case. By taking 2mm off each side there is no hindrance to the effectivness of the model and I save the best part of a 1.5m arcrylic sheet! This was perfect so I quickly got on to taking the longer sides styrene cladding off the base. I managed to get the 2 sides required off before leaving the studio at 8ish.


Obviously this is a problem for my time scale but I am confindent I can manage it if I work at the pace I have been.

Laser Cutting

Much more positively I managed to get all of the 2mm pieces (below) cut out and much quicker than any other job I've done so far on this project. This was mainly due to the lack of brickwork on these parts! When sorting through the cut parts I found that several of the new build wall parts did not fit the intended gaps on the floorplates. Going back to the drawings I found that this was due to a miscalculation on my part with the floorplates and not the wall sections luckily so I will recut the modified floorplates tomorrow in my morning laser session.


I have booked a session on Friday morning which I aim to get as many final parts cut as possible meaning I need to get the main construction underway by Thursday to prepare drawings as required. The main parts to add are roof sections for the existing church and the new-build roof and some smaller exterior details.

Paint Mix

I managed to mix up a jar of the same teracotta brick colour which I need for the brickwork on the window details of the 2mm acrylic. I intend to spray this tomorrow at some point and begin figuing out the masking needed for the interior section as well as mixing an off white for the interior walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment