Sketchup Screenshot

Sketchup Screenshot
Above image © De Santis-Philipson Architects. All other Images © Scott Miller 2010 unless stated otherwise

Saturday 27 November 2010

Late nights

The last few days have been very long and very productive.


Painting


On Thursday I mixed up the main colours for the building so I could press on and get things sprayed. The main time consuming factor in this part of the process is the painting/masking (below) of each part. As I have created a sort of air fix kit of parts if you like, there is often multiple colours required for each part. I have had a few cases of paint running under masking where I didn't want it to. This has held me up slightly as I have had to the remask, go back to the spray room and try again, cleaning the gun out after each colour is time consuming but essential for a clean crisp coat. Paul recommended a higher spray pressure and or spraying from an increased distance to ensure the paint lands and flattens itself instantly as it hits the surface not giving it tme to go under the masked areas.




Laser Cutting

On Friday I was once again booked on the laser cutter to recut certain parts that need to be redesigned. The main new additions to the drawings were the new build roof sections which I designed to allow internal viewing as discussed with the architect. I have booked on again for next Wednsday for the cutting of final parts which I have yet to draw. These parts rely on the ongoing assembly of the model to allow me to understand exactly how the need to fit into place. The major part here will be the roof for the front of the existing church. As with all other parts they will then have to be sprayed and fitted.

Assembly

Assembly of the model has been fairly smooth. The addition of the painted parts really starts to bring the whole model to life. 95% of the parts have been painted and the others are being sprayed first thing monday morning or when available (from the laser cutter). Once ready I will be able to assemble the building very quickly. One issue I have had which has had to be altered on the existing parts due to the time constraints is the step into the walls that I had allowed for the floor level to fit within have all been wrong. This is purly down to me forgetting to take the extra 2mm out of the parts to allow the floor to sit flush with each other. This is'nt too big of a problem as I am easily able to modify parts that arn't visable one the model is fully assembled.

For now the pictures below tell my progress:








Brass Etchings

The brass etchings arrived today and look great. I am unsure as to weather I should leave them in their brass finish or not. They look great as the y are but I think it may contrast a little with the rest of the colour scheme on the model. The main reason I decided to use brass was its flexibility and the amount of detail that can be achived at such small scale. I will check with the architects before taking this further.




Case Making

As the model has really started to take shape in the last few days I have put the case on hold as I figured it is more important for me to get the model finished than the case which although an important part of the finished project will not play a huge role in the assesment by the tutors. Model progress pending, I still hope to get it finished for the deadline next Friday.

Tick Tock Tick Tock....

No comments:

Post a Comment