Sketchup Screenshot

Sketchup Screenshot
Above image © De Santis-Philipson Architects. All other Images © Scott Miller 2010 unless stated otherwise

Wednesday 24 November 2010

More of the usual plus the start construction

Laser Cutting


Got off to a flying start today cutting the interior pieces and the odd redrawn parts I drew yeasterday. No problems at all finished well ahead of time.

Case Making


The Tensol I applied yesterday had completely gone off so I was able to look at the quality of the joints. Unfortunatly there are a few more bubbles that I had hoped for. I cut out the weak sections as best I could and re injected Tensol where possible. I will likely do the same tomorrow making sure the joints are a clear as I can make them. I can only really put this error down to me rushing perhaps abit too much to get things moving. Paul suggested I experimented using flame polishing to speed up the polishing process when I get to it. It look interesting and there is alot of information on the subject online such as this demonstration video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRCnVBM3R0c
For now the priority lies with the main model which is more improtant interms of the overall mark.

Painting

I painted the 2mm sections with the terracotta colour ensuring there was a good even coat which I had some minor issues with on my samples. Once dry I was able to take these parts and begin assembly or further masking for interior colours.

Assembly

I was finally able to start the assembly of some of the parts of the church. The main hold up is the need to have certain parts painted before being able to fix them in place. I hope to speed this up tomorrow and get all of the colours mixed and as many parts as possible painted.

I decided to use the emulsion or 'tacky glue' along with double sided tape to fix the layers in place (Below). This is mainly due to the paint being exposed on the inside preventing the use of glues or solvents.


The jigsaw jointing is working well on the first piece I have put together with minimal fuss in terms of fitting of the parts (below).



I also assembled the bulk of the interior sections for the new build's in preparation for the interior colour spray tomorrow (below).

It has not been specified whether or not the floor will be a different colur to the walls. I will see how this section looks and will check with architects. Another decision I have made without consulting them is to backspray the windows themselfs matte black. This decision is based on the advice I recieved at Technical Models Ltd as well as my need to conceal the area at the front of the church which has no interior representation.

It's good to see the elevations finally coming together!

Redraws

Inevitably I have come across a few minor problems with parts as I have come to assemble them. I have recitfied the drawings and will have to cut this few parts again along with new roof parts which I intend to cut on my Friday morning laser session (or before if I can get on the cutter).

Brass Etching Update

I recieved a reply for PPD regarding cost of the job. They have completed it and sent it out today with the total cost coming to £35 + VAT = £41.13. I just hope these details are worth it!

Tomorrow

I intend to keep up the pace and get as many jobs for the main model done as possible aiming to have the bulk of it constructed by the weekend. I have to prepare the roof drawings to be cut on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment