Sketchup Screenshot

Sketchup Screenshot
Above image © De Santis-Philipson Architects. All other Images © Scott Miller 2010 unless stated otherwise

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Suppliers and More Base Prep

It may seem like this base is taking forever. It is. This is mainly due to me thinking each thing through way before I've done it. I have spent many hours over the past week sitting and thinking how I'm going to put this model together. This has raised several issues which will need to be addressed one at a time as the bigger ones are decided on.

One issue is how to represent the buttresses in relation to the rest of the building. These, like the rest of the building, are terracotta brickwork. I had thought that I would make them using a shaped block of chemi wood which could then be cut down accordingly to mass produce them. This could still be a factor but it would not feature the brickwork as represented on the rest of the model.

To represent them as I have done on the building face by back-spraying presents several issues. The smaller buttresses on either end of the church would be very difficult to assemble for .5mm laser cut and etched acrylic.

I think I need to test laser cutting them to see if it is realistic. Perhaps I could, once back sprayed, apply the smaller pieces to a chemi-wood or styrene former to give them greater strength.

The Base



I have added several more details to the base that will need to be in place before the building is in situe and thus will also have to be sprayed beforehand. I have added the pathway from the new entrance that leads along the building and around the side of the church (above). I have also added the steps to the existing main entrance and the new access ramp running down one side(below). This pavements area has also been blended into the parking area at the side of the church.


I have also added 5mm ledges around the outside of my base thinking ahead for the case fitting. I made these using 5mm plywood of cuts as Paul suggested making my case using 4mm acrylic as it is much cheaper then 5mm (Below). Using a 5mm gap gives me approx .5mm 'play' either side which shoud be a snug fit. Another benefit is 1mm less to polish clear on each edge.


I need to schedule a time for the case construction as It may take 2-3 days due to Tensol drying time.

Paul also suggested buying one in which I will get a quote for but fully intend to make it mayself as it can be a hard skill to master. Having made a fairly large case for a project at Technical Models Ltd I feel quite confident I can produce a strong clean example, given the time to do it.

Suppliers

Other details around the base board such as the small planters on the surrounding wall can be made using cheap bought in materials such as styrene tubing and strips. I have looked at several suppliers today with varying prices for certain parts. I intend to look over all the elements of the model that may require them before playing an order but I will most definitely be placing one to save on time producing them myself. Cheshire Models seem the cheapest by far - and strangely are based about 10mins from where I live in Manchester - I have never heard of them!

The suppliers I have looked at are:

http://www.ema-models.co.uk/

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

http://www.cheshiremodels.co.uk/

http://www.modelshop.co.uk/

I also looked at RS whom my colleagues as Technical Models Ltd used for alot of cleaning and polishing products. The products are certainly good but I'm not sure about the price unless you're buying in bulk!

http://www.uk.rs-online.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment