Sketchup Screenshot

Sketchup Screenshot
Above image © De Santis-Philipson Architects. All other Images © Scott Miller 2010 unless stated otherwise

Thursday 4 November 2010

Testing construction methods

Drawing and Laser Cutting

Over the lase couple of days I have been laser cutting pieces to test how the building will come together. For an unknown reason some of the brickwork (all from the same drawing and job) came out differently and was less defined. I may have to redraw the sections concerned if it occurs again.

I decided to experiment in making the buttress from laser cut sections which looks fairly good, the only issue being the joins on the corners (see below) which are hard to secure once it has been backsprayed. Dychlo causes the paint to warp and is therefore not an option. I will experiment using other glues - perhaps emusion glue? Another suggestion from Paul was to jigsaw the corners to slot together. This could work so I'm going to give it a go asap.


The parts seemed to fit very well into the base which is a relief (see below).


Paint Colour


I also mixed a much paler toned down teracotta colour which I think will suit the model style much more than a striking red brick colour(see pics below). It may also be worth adding matting agent the the paint for the exposed ares of window detail.


I must remember to pre sand each piece before assembly as it is too fragile once in place, especially the around buttress.




As I am now fairly certain that this construction method will be effective I am now moving onto the new build areas to make some test pieces.




Interior Considerations

Now I am able to see the model and grasp exactly how the interior will appear in relation to the outside I realise that I will need to create another inner layer. This will be able to be sprayed separatly and not cause a risk to the exterior colour. Again this will need to be drawn up in Rhino and laser cut. The Layering of materials should appear something like this:


Buying In


This morning I compared the companies I mentioned previously and decided to go with EMA who had everything I needed rather than having to pay multiple postage costs. They have been despatched and should arrive at the studio early next week I would imagine.



Brass Etching


I began researching Brass etching and the preparation required for the drawings used. I intend to brass etch interior chair detailing, exterior fire esacape stairs and the railings surrounding the


childrens play area. I hope to have these drawn and be able to send the file off for etching by the middle of next week to give me 3 weeks to get them done.




Case Building and Quotes



Although I fully intend to make a case myself I am going to get quotes to keep a record of what this project would cost if I were charging for it.



The course only prode Tensol 12, an air drying Tensol which doesnt have the strength that I saw at Technical Models using Tensol 70 with catalyst.

I need to source some Tensol 70 and look at the cost of getting it in compared to having a case made. I really want to make the case myself as it is seen as abit of a challenge to most makers to keep it crisp and clean, I know I can do it and it would be great to say I made the whole model, case and all at the end of year show.

No comments:

Post a Comment