Sketchup Screenshot

Sketchup Screenshot
Above image © De Santis-Philipson Architects. All other Images © Scott Miller 2010 unless stated otherwise

Sunday 14 November 2010

Quick Update

I've found a couple of example of models using the roof edge which in the case of this project is the feature that needs to be retained (as discussed in my previous post). I will forward this pic (below) to the architects clearly showing how this method of presenting the roof can work.



(Pic available from: http://www.amalgam-architecture.co.uk/ourwork.asp , under 'The Park, Cheltenham')

Tomorrow I am going to speak to Technical models to find out where they source their Foamalux sheets. I need to order some asap for the base. To be honest I had completely forgot I needed this element. I also need to decide on case dimensions and get some quotes before proceeding to construct my own. I also need to buy some Tensol 70 and syringes to apply it.

I am booked onto the laser cutter tomorrow and Tuesday afternoon to hopefully get the bulk of my parts cut out.


I have drawn the parts I intend to be brass etched but I am going to speak to the architects again before going ahead and getting them etched in case they want other features made in the same way. I have drawn them according to the guide on the PPD website available at http://www.ppdltd.com/web_site_3/DG_How_2_draw.html

A cost saving idea had crossed my mind to work with Laura Penman who is also getting some parts etched from PPD. Unfortunatly she is working with stainless steel which is more robust and may not bend as easily as brass for the detials I have designed. I will double check my drawings with the tutors and ask for more info about the durability of stainless and if if would have an effect. I know that it has a slightly higher cost in terms of sheet material.



These drawings need to be sent off by Wednesday to be sure they arrive in good time.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Scott,

    Thanks for adding the link to our website. If you need any advice or help don't hesitate to ask.

    Thanks

    James Smith
    Amalgam Modelmaking Ltd

    ReplyDelete